Manager: Company Secretary and Legal
UNISA Enterprise is looking to fill a vacancy of Manager: Company Secretary and Legal. The purpose is to provide legal advice, corporate governance, legislative compliance and secretariat support to the Board. The legislative compliance service extends to the executive management of the organisation. This role also facilitates the implementation of compliance and risk management in the organisation
Qualifications: Degree: LLB or equivalent. Minimum: 5 years’ experience legal advisory, corporate governance, company secretariat duties, board administration, good knowledge of Companies Act and King IV.
Experience: A minimum of 5 years relevant experience in risk and compliance management.
Systems, Regulatory and processes knowledge: Advanced knowledge of relevant legislation and regulatory universe. Case preparation and management. Knowledge of legal systems and frameworks.
Key Responsibilities: The incumbent will report to the Executive: Corporate Services and the responsibilities are as follows:
|MAIN OUTPUTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES|
|Manages Board and Committees of the Board.
* Develops the Board Annual Work Plan.
* Prepares and issues notices of meetings timeously and arranges related logistics such as catering and venue bookings
* Prepares the agenda and supporting documents for meetings
* Coordinates the submission of reports to the Board, Board Committees, EXCO and UNISA committees
* Manages requests from the Board
* Ensures actions requested by Board are undertaken by the responsible executives and reported back to the Board
* Formulates accurate minutes and resolutions
* Communicates the Board and Committee resolutions to relevant parties and prepares action sheets to this effect.
* Provides advice to the Board on the Companies Act, Higher Education and Training Act, King IV and corporate governance compliance issues to ensure the effective functioning of the Board and Committees.
|Develops and updates corporate governance policies to ensure company-wide legislative compliance.
Ensure to review/amend contracts (SLAs, NDAs, MOUs) etc and that documents are stamped prior to circulation to stakeholders
* Provide legal advice to the team
* Develops and updates a Corporate Governance Policy Framework which includes e.g. Delegation of Authority, Whistleblowing Policy, Fraud Prevention Policy, Code of Conduct for Board and Staff, Board Charter, Committee Terms of Reference, Legislative Compliance Matrix, etc.
* Oversees overall company-wide legislative compliance requirements (Companies Act, Higher Education and Training Act, King IV) and reports on compliance/non-compliance to Board and shareholder as required.
* Develops overall company-wide legislative compliance matrix and provides reports to Board and relevant stakeholders/governance structures
* Manages compliance with the Company’s Act and Higher Education and Training Act regarding the meeting documentation
* Provides input to amendments to organizational policies and procedures.
| Compliance and Risk Management.
(Regulatory and Legislative Compliance Monitoring, Analysis, Reporting and Training):
* Establishing a regulatory and governance framework for the content and digital lifestyle business and sensitizing relevant internal stakeholders.
* Develop procedures to proactively manage risk across the business ranging from operational risk, legal risk, compliance risk and third-party risk.
* Adopt a risk-based approach to identification and verification processes.
* Supporting the business in legal and commercial discussions with third party providers.
* Developing a robust third-party due diligence protocols as well as ensuring that there is appropriate ongoing oversight and control over such third-party providers.
* Collate and analyse information from various sources to assess the adequacy and effectiveness of the internal compliance controls. The information must be documented together with action items and control plans and communicated to relevant internal stakeholders.
* Create a risk and compliance culture by identifying weaknesses in systems and processes and proactively embedding governance principles, values and sound business practice into existing systems, products, services and processes.
* Identify and track changes to existing and new laws and trends in the industry both locally and internationally.
* Impact analysis across business processes and systems.
* Responsible for analysis and documentation of regulatory compliance requirements especially as it relates to digital content services.
* Develop risk management plans for relevant legislation and maintain a regulatory universe.
* Develop appropriate policies to supplement and enforce the governance framework.
* Assessing the risk of changes to Regulatory Environment.
|Maintains statutory registers for the Company
* Oversees lodging of the necessary Company forms with the Registrar of Companies e.g. annual returns, change of name/address, resignation of Board members
* Retains and maintains the statutory registers for the company.
|Board Training, Information Sessions and Induction
* Arranges skills training and induction of the Board, Committee and directors where necessary
* Provides training to board members on their fiduciary duties, corporate governance and relevant legislation.
|Financial management of Business Unit
* Manages the budget of the Board and committees continuously in consultation with the Board Chairperson
* Manages the budget of the Business Unit inclusive of:
* Drawing up budget for the Business Unit including Board related expenditure
* Accountable for all board expenses in terms of the approved budget
* Co-ordinating the section’s financial planning and budget
* Managing expenditure against the budget
* Allocating the necessary resources appropriately.
BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES (SOFT SKILLS/ATTITUDE)
- Good written and verbal communication
- A good understanding of administrative functions and meeting procedures
- Ability to work with Executive Management and Board members
- Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines
- Computer Literacy
- Good interpersonal skills
Suitable and interested candidates should send CV, qualifications and ID to email@example.com no later than 25 January 2021 at 12:00. Late applications will be automatically disqualified.
UNISA Enterprise subscribes to the principles of employment equity in its recruitment processes. Prospective employees will be subjected to security vetting. NB: Applicants who have not received any correspondence from us within six weeks of the closing date can consider their applications unsuccessful.